Office Of The Tribal Welfare Commissioner, Jharkhand State

The "TRIBAL WELFARE COMMISSIONER" is the head of the department and is the director. The TWC is responsible for the implementation and supervision of all the schemes taken up at the field level .The field formation includes the deputy director of Welfare located at the 4 divisional offices of Santhal Paraganas Division , Ranchi Division, Hazaribagh Division and the Palamu Division. All the 18 districts have District welfare officers, Subdivisional Officers and Block welfare officers.

The office of the TWC is located in the Project Building, 2nd Floor, Ranchi.

An officer of the Indian Administrative Services is normally posted at the TWC since it is a cadre post, keeping in line the responsibility that the post carries. Proposals for release of funds for schemes are formulated by the TWC and submitted to the government for sanction and release of funds. It is also the responsibility of the TWC to supervise the implementation of schemes by inspection and reveiw meetings of the field offices.

In the new state of Jharkhand ,the scope and the responsibilities have increased by including the welfare of the scheduled castes, the backwards and the minorities. Earlier, the TWC was responsible only for the schemes meant for the tribes.

For the implementation of the schemes for the tribes for which the funds come from the Govt. of India under Special Central Assistance, (SCA) there are 14 MESO offices who report to the TWC. 70% of the funds are utilised in income generating schemes and the rest 30% for Infrastructural development.